Over the Heritage Open Days weekend of 12-14 September an archaeological dig took place on Gosden Meadow, Bramley, which established the location below ground of Tanyard Lock (Lock 22) on the former Wey & Arun Canal. The dig was organised by the Wey & Arun Canal Trust and directed by Consultant Archaeologist Martin J. Cook.
The Wey & Arun Canal was built between 1813 and 1816 and we believe that all the locks in Surrey were built mainly of brick.
Some time after the canal became disused (in the 1870s), the bricks were re-used, probably by local builders - we do not know exactly when this happened in Bramley.
Volunteers from the Canal Trust and other waterways restoration groups made light work of revealing the foundations of the SE corner of the former lock chamber before - like 'Time Team' - their three days were up! The excavation also uncovered some of the original bricks.
Around 30 participants in the Trust's annual guided walk on 14 September from Gun's Mouth, Shalford, to Stanton's Wharf, Bramley, were treated to the bonus of inspecting the excavation shortly before it was filled in.
The Canal Trust gratefully acknowledges the kindness of the landowner in permitting this investigation and also the generous support of the Surrey Archaeological Society and Surrey Industrial History Group in offering grants to help defray the cost of the dig.