The Wey & Arun Canal Trust will be holding a public exhibition in Dunsfold on 6th November 2011. The exhibition will display the proposed works to restore the stretch of canal between Compasses Bridge and Tickner's Heath in Alfold. Local residents will have the opportunity to learn about the work of the Wey & Arun Canal Trust and to consult with them about the proposed developments in their area.
The Trust's aim following the work being completed is to run public boat trips on the Wey & Arun canal in the Dunsfold area. This is following the success of similar trips which have been running for some time in Loxwood, West Sussex, on a stretch which the volunteer-led Trust has already made fully navigable.
In order to support the running of the new boat trips, several improvements will need to be made to the mile-long stretch of canal in question, including reprofiling as well as the addition of a new boat house, slipway and landing stage. Members of the Wey & Arun Canal Trust have already completed much clearance work in preparation for the new developments, and have engaged in preliminary planning discussions with Waverly Borough
Council and the owners of Dunsfold Park, gaining much support for the scheme.
Residents of Dunsfold are now invited to examine the details of the project and meet with WACT representatives in order for the Trust and the planning authorities to be able to take into account their views and attitudes as they progress to the next stage of the project. Any information or feedback will be gratefully received, and residents who wish to be involved with the project will be able to register their interest. The event will be held at Winn Hall in Dunsfold, between 11am and 4pm on Sunday 6th November and the WACT team hope to welcome as many visitors as possible.
Further information about the Wey & Arun Canal Trust is available from the Trust's office, on 01403 752403.
Notes for Editors
Further information is available from Bill Thomson, firstname.lastname@example.org
, 07777 668928
The Wey & Arun Canal Trust
The Wey & Arun Canal, "London's lost route to the sea" was originally opened in 1816 between the River Wey at Shalford, near Guildford, and Pallingham, near Pulborough, the head of navigation of the River Arun. It closed in 1871, due to railway competition. Since the 1970s the 23-mile waterway has been the subject of a campaign by volunteers led by the Wey & Arun Canal Trust to restore the route to navigation. Work has been undertaken in a number of locations, most notably the stretch near the Sussex/Surrey border at Loxwood. Over two miles in length, this includes five working locks, two public road crossings, an aqueduct, two farm bridges, and numerous minor works, all built or rebuilt through voluntary effort. Boat trips are available on this stretch, onboard several craft, including the 50-seater electrically-powered Wiggonholt.