A New Land Rover for the Wey & Arun Canal Trust.
The Wey & Arun Canal Trust is very pleased to have received a brand new Land Rover Defender, on long term loan from Harwoods Land Rover of Pulborough, Sussex.
The vehicle has already been put to good use by one of the Trust's working parties. Volunteers have been hard at work coppicing in Sidney Wood, where the Land Rover is the safest and most effective way of transporting materials and equipment.
In the coming months the Trust anticipates an even greater need for adequate four-wheel-drive transport between sites.
Harwoods have supported the Wey & Arun Canal Trust since the mid-1990s, and this latest loan of a Land Rover Defender is their fifth to date. The firm has described the restoration work as an 'ideal cause' to support due to the waterway being a local concern in a rural area where such vehicles are often vital for access.
The Trust remains extremely grateful to Harwoods for their ongoing support. Thousands of visitors every year already enjoy the restored sections of the canal and by donating to the cause, Harwoods is contributing to the enjoyment of many more in the future.
Further information and photographs in the form of JPEG files can be obtained from the Sally Schupke (01483 560543): e-mail: email@example.com
Further information about the Wey & Arun Canal Trust is available from the Trust's office, on 01403 752403.
Notes for Editors
Further information is available from Sally Schupke, firstname.lastname@example.org, 01483 560543
The Wey & Arun Canal Trust
The Wey & Arun Canal, "London's lost route to the sea" was originally opened in 1816 between the River Wey at Shalford, near Guildford, and Pallingham, near Pulborough, the head of navigation of the River Arun. It closed in 1871, due to railway competition. Since the 1970s the 23-mile waterway has been the subject of a campaign by volunteers led by the Wey & Arun Canal Trust to restore the route to navigation. Work has been undertaken in a number of locations, most notably the stretch near the Sussex/Surrey border at Loxwood. Over two miles in length, this includes five working locks, two public road crossings, an aqueduct, two farm bridges, and numerous minor works, all built or rebuilt through voluntary effort. Boat trips are available on this stretch, onboard several craft, including the 50-seater electrically-powered Wiggonholt.